first a few questions.
do you have phpmyadmin both on local and remote ? (this will make moving the database easier)
1. if you do have phpmyadmin - ensure the remote and local ones are both the same version.
2. on your local ( in phpmyadmin ) there's an option to do an export script
3. on your remote (in phpmyadmin ) you can upload an import script
4. move your joomla files & folders across to the remote server
5. open up the configuration and change your
site path info
all the guides i came across has mentioned what i did.